Saturday, June 12, 2010

I'm Doing It Again...

Posting twice in one day! You'd think I didn't have a life or something.

Oh wait...

Art is my life, I'm cool with that.

Okay so I was just thinking about how badly I wanted to paint and colour and stuff, but couldn't because for whatever reason everything I wanted to draw wasn't turning out all that awesome. Daaamn.

So, I figured I'd just focusing on colouring. I had this picture of Ninja in my clip board that I'd started colouring at work in copics, but I couldn't finish her clothes because Tara didn't have any blues or greens. I figured I'd finish them today, in Prisma colour markers.

I picked up my clipboard, and it was chalk full of sketches and process doodles. I figured I should organize some stuff. I took out the actual workable pieces and I put them in my portfolio under June 2010, and I grabbed all the scratch pages and pulled out my second, very much beat up portfolio that I store my sketches in. As I was trying to cram stuff away, I passed a sheet of writing.

My brain perked up, as I always forget what I write and I love re-reading to see what characters and what plots I had started. As I grabbed it and started flipping through, it was made obvious to me that it was all emo poetry I should be shot for writing. There were a couple of writings I'd forgotten about, and--- What's this? I realized there was art in there that had somehow survived the purging of my portfolio a few months back.

I took them out and flipped through them, embarrassed by my lack of anatomy and just.. ignorance of important body parts. For example: crotches. However, one picture, gave me a bit of a start. It was the image I could see clearly in my minds eye when I was working on this picture, but was certain I'd lost forever because I'd thrown it away. But no, as it turns out, it some how survived, and as I stared at it, I wanted to red line it.

Point out all the errors a stupid younger me had made.

However, instead of bothering with all the effort of trying to correct something that just can't be corrected, I decided to redraw it.

Funny thing, where inspiration can come from. After I penciled it, I wanted to colour in the purple of the bruises, but I couldn't do that without colouring in some skin. Instead of inking my drawing, I decided I'd go right at it, taking inspiration from my coworker Spencer. So, using my markers, I coloured it.

Originally I wanted to try to take advantage of the white of my paper, and it was going well. Until I added the purple of the bruises. It stood out too harshly against the skin tone I'd used. I figured the logical answer was to dilute the purple, and to do that, I needed gray. I grabbed my lightest gray, and went at it, filling in the white (to help with blending) as I went.

Suka wound up looking like a zombie, but I got the purple to work. I thought it looked terrible, but after I inked it, it didn't look too bad.

I'm kinda glad this drawing survived- It's old, but it was a special piece to me, even if I didn't finish it. I'm glad I found it tonight and got all inspired to try to draw it again.

Today has been a good day, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment