Saturday, February 26, 2011

Squish Loves

Bet you're getting tired of seeing these, aren't you?

It's a shame I'm not tired of making them yet.

This is a special request I made for Sarah. I don't think I've ever been straight up asked to draw something for someone before, or at least not seriously. Usually trades, ATC's, all that jazz, so this felt special to me and I wanted to make sure I did a good job.

I wish I was as on the ball with my commission. Tomorrow, tomorrow.

On a side note, I should never be given free reign to draw a curvy lady. I go nuts.

Sue and Chase both belong to Sarah, and are characters in her comic the Awakened. If you haven't read it, she's recently rebooted everything and started from scratch, and it's a really cool read. Don't worry, the first few pages involving Chase are nightmare fluid. You're not supposed to understand.

I've always loved Sue, since I first saw her. She's colourful, comfortable, fun, and often reminds me of me. Up until the reboot, all of her stat's matched mine too. Sue's awesome fun to draw because of all of her curves and colours; right up my alley.

Chase, I don't draw as much. It doesn't help that I enjoy spending my spare time tormenting him, and the fact that he's anorexic and skinny as a bean pole. I have issues with skinny people. Even my own. I just can't draw them properly. Thunder thighs, all around!

I tried to stick to mostly repetitive patterns for Chase, and I refrained from giving him vibrant blue arm warmers. All the various shades of gray were bothering me about as much as Irwin's bandaging was, but I managed. Chase, you so drab. Spice up your life! Wear a green hat or something. No? No? No funky accessories? Okay, I'll give you one of those later.

For now, I'll make you wear emo pants! This is what happens when I design costumes without looking at references. He normally wears ratty tatty baggy pants. Not emo pants. Oh well. And I doubt he'd wear the shoes I gave him, but you know what, I like those kinds of shoes. With some proper rubber soles on them. I like converse too.. I don't know what I was thinking.

For Sue, because she's Sue, I picked whatever loose pattern I had on hand. I really like how she turned out! She is wearing; the lime green boots I desperately want from Target that won't ship to Canada, the purple skirt I constantly regret not buying from old Navy, and a yellow sweater that I own but is much to small for me.

SUE, I AM SO ENVIOUS OF YOU RIGHT NOW.

Darnit.

Think I might change the texture I used on the skin tones... they sort of look diseased.

This was a lot of fun to work on, and it was a great way to start the break. My left hand is a little sore, but hey, at least my right hand is functioning properly again. That's all that matters, yeah?

Eventually I'll stop drawing heart bubbles and calling them backgrounds. I promise. I couldn't really think of anything else that would have been relevant to what I was drawing.

Without further ado, here you go Sarah, I hope you like it.

2:16

Annie

2 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I wondered what you were staying up so late for last night. XD I freaking love this. You and Sue should just go shopping together. :B Also, I adore that you used a White Stripes lyric. X3 <3

    THANK YOOOOOU!! My artist requests never get drawn. JOO MADE ME HAPPY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it =3 I considered stopping after flats and going to bed- but I wanted to finish, haha. The textures are the easy part, anyways...

    And yeah, I think that's the first time I've ever just.. had a friend ask me to draw them something, haha- usually they're sketch trades or... trade trades. I appreciated the request, is what I'm trying to get at!

    ReplyDelete